PACKING FOR A WEEKEND IN THE SUN
I’m planning a weekend in the Hamptons this summer and who better to help pack my bag than a local. Dr. Dana Stern, a New York and Hamptons-based dermatologist who specializes in nails and lives in peacefully chic Amagansett. She’s certainly a wealth of knowledge when it comes to caring for our fingers and toes, but she’s even more insightful about the who, what and wear of the Hamptons. Here’s her packing list for my weekend getaway.
1. This smocked jumpsuit from Surf Bazaar in Montauk (the store is located in the ever-hip Surf Lodge) is perfection for a sunny Saturday. “It will effortlessly take you from the beach to drinks at The Crow’s Nest, says Dana. www.thesurfbazzar.com
2. If ever there’s a Hamptons color, it’s navy. I’ll fit right in with this simple yet super chic bikini. “I absolutely love this suit because it’s classic, with a touch of trend,” says Dana.
3. Dana says this is the single most important item in my bag. “Sunscreen is essential, whether you’re shopping in Southampton or hanging at the beach. I always recommend Blue Lizard Sensitive because it contains 10% Zinc Oxide, which is a physical blocker and therefore offers the best in broad spectrum (UVA & UVB) protection. Added bonus, it is paraben free, fragrance free.
4. “Everyone is obsessing over the round towel,” says Dana. “Not only does it look great, but it’s also incredibly functional. It gives you so much more room to lounge than a traditional beach towel.”
5. Amber Waves Farm is a CSA in Amagansett and the go-to for fresh, organic fruits vegetables and flowers. Wearing one of their trucker hats is as local as it gets. “Walk around with one of these on and everyone will assume you’re a full timer, not a weekender!” says Dana.
6. Dana always packs her Dr. DANA™ Nail Renewal System for when there’s no time for a manicure (which always seems to be the case). “It’s a quick, 3-step system that creates the perfect nude nail manicure—nails instantly look healthy, hydrated and high shine.”