Easy to Achieve Festival Look
Hey everyone! My name is Taylor Fitzgerald, I am a Makeup Artist in NYC and winter is finally (slowly) starting to dwindle down. Finally the feeling of sunshine and playing with brighter color begins again for many of us and what better way to start that off, then with festival season! Coachella is around the corner and there are two things that are for sure. First, it’s about your LOOK as much as it is about the music. Secondly, creating that look can be intimidating. Especially when going into the desert. I’m going to show you how to create something on the softer side, but still having fun with your makeup (hint: glitter is involved).
It’s so important to take weather into consideration when creating a makeup for a festival such as Coachella. There are events, partying, music, tons of people, and you can be busy all day and all night. Consider a look that requires less maintenance. I also find instead of FORCING this matte “beat” look, it helps to not fight the environment to keep a look lower maintenance. Keep the skin fresh, and keep some blotting papers on you.
- Prep, and PROTECT your skin! Start by applying a lightweight skincare that will help hold your makeup in place. I like the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Serum to plump the skin, and the Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Creme. Next, apply a sunscreen, such as the Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50 all over your face, ears, and neck.
- Next, apply a tinted moisturizer all over the face to even out skin tone! I used the
Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer because of it’s additional sun protection and it helps control shine breakthrough really well. Then, I spot concealed with the
Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer beneath the eyes and around the nose. This concealer is super long wear and sets nicely on the skin. Especially in a warm environment.
- I apply a liquid blush because of it’s staying power as well! I mixed the
Nars Liquid Blush in TORID and LUSTER with a fluffy brush and applied it to the apples of the models cheeks. I blended it in with my fingers on the edges. If you apply too much, go back with your tinted moisturizer and apply a tiny bit on top!
- To add a bit of highlight but without stickiness (especially for longevity purposes and being outdoors all day) apply the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector on the cheekbones, bridge of nose, brow bone, and cupid’s bow. I love this liquid highlight because of it’s pearly finish and it sets into the skin rather then sitting on top. You will likely create a natural “dew” throughout the day truthfully.
- Now for the eyes! What makes a statement, requires minimal effort, and says “Instagrammable” more then glitter?! To make sure everything stay put, I started with Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eye Primer on the lids. While it’s still a bit tacky, I applied the Aqua Cream Eye Color in SILVER by Makeup Forever across the lids with a dense synthetic brush. Truthfully, I think the creasing look with a metallic color looks cool, but if you want to avoid the creasing a bit longer, mix a tiny drop of the Makeup Forever Aqua Seal with the cream shadow then apply.
- Whether it’s with a synthetic brush or your fingers, tap on some glitter to the lid and inner corners! I used Lemonhead’s Melrose Space Jam all over the lid and used a small synthetic brush, a bit more in the inner corners. They have my favorite glitters and a gorgeous variety of colors! Finish off the eye look by curling the lashes and using a jet black mascara and a long lasting brow gel. I used Milk Makeup’s KUSH Mascara to really volumize. I groomed Gaby’s gorgeous brows with Charlotte Tilbury’s Legendary Brow Gel in Super Model. It has an opaque tint so it captures all the baby hairs and holds in place all day!
- Now that I’ve seen where the makeup naturally set, I applied the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder with a fluffy domed brush focusing on the areas I saw she got a bit shiny (prominently forehead and next to nose). Then blended the excess all over the face.
- I completed the look using Laura Mercier’s Velour Extreme Matte Lipstick in METRO and Lip Glace in Azalea.
Some festival hacks! To avoid carrying to much makeup, avoid bringing powder and packing on more makeup. Bring blotting papers! I love the Tatcha Blotting Papers, especially because they don’t contain any harmful ingredients such as Mineral Oil, Synthetic Fragrance, and is bio-degradable! Also, if you want to re-apply sunscreen protection and don’t want to move your makeup, Supergoop carries a Defense Refresh Setting Mist. It’s a broad spectrum sunscreen thats SPF 50 in spray form!