It is my pleasure to introduce you to my friends and flower pro’s at Bloom 2 Bloom! Below they are sharing 5 tips to keep those beautiful new flowers you just bought fresher for longer!!
- Groom those stems — To help the stems absorb water, use sharp scissors to trim the stems at a 45-degree angle, about one inch from the bottom. Also, it’s important to remove all leaves that will fall below the water line in your vase. This will decrease the amount of bacteria that builds up in the water (that’s what makes the water in your vase turn a mucky color and start to smell).
- Prep the vase — Once the stems are ready to go, it’s time to pick out your favorite vase. Make sure the opening of the vase is the right size for the number of stems you have – not too narrow so as to squish the flowers, and not too wide so as to cause the arrangement to lose its shape. It’s important to make sure the vase is completely clean. Fill the vase about two-thirds of the way with fresh, cool water.
- Feed the blooms — Before you add the flowers to your vase, add flower food (make sure to ask for some with your fresh flower purchase) to the water and allow it to absorb into the water before adding the flowers to the vase. The flower food helps provide nutrients and reduce the bacteria build-up in the water.
- Keep flowers in the right place — Where you put your flowers isn’t just about where they look best or make you smile the most (though we do agree that’s important!). Keep flowers away from direct sunlight, in a cool area. Avoid placing your beautiful blooms near fresh fruit or vegetables – your produce may give off ethylene gas, which will cause your flowers to wilt faster.
- Change the water — Just like you, fresh flowers need to drink fresh water. We suggest changing the water in the vase daily to help those blooms last as long as possible. For added benefits, rinse the bottom of the stems under cool water for a few seconds before returning them to the clean water in the vase.