Take your closet to the next level with these expert tips from LA Closet Design founder & the mastermind behind my closet, Lisa Adams! This is the third closet Lisa and I have worked on together and each time I’ve been left with a beautiful space that is balanced functionally & aesthetically. Check out Lisa’s tips below and then set off to create the closet of your dreams!
1. Gold Paint – Paint the medal trim of your closet and/or the ceiling for a little flair.
2. Ottoman & Rug – If you have the room, add a sitting area. This could either be for the use of lounging or for the basic necessity of putting on your shoes. The sitting area makes the closet a true living space, even if you can only squeeze in a small round ottoman. Add a faux fur sheepskin rug to take your closet to dressing room status.
3. Freestanding Furniture Pieces – I like to add freestanding furniture pieces to give the space character and personality (eg Whitney’s armoire for sweaters and wall table for hats and a pop of color!)
4. Mirror Accents – Add a full length mirror to dead space. It’ll make the room feel bigger and open up the space.Choose a framed mirror to add a different material element to the space.
5. Decorative Knobs/Handles – Pick out cool handles and knobs to bring a touch of style and luxury to your closet. Here are some fun and inexpensive options from Anthropologie…
8. Custom Jewelry Drawers – You can find affordable jewelry trays at the Container Store, which I used in Whitney’s closet. They are great for styling purposes and for display!
9. It’s all about lighting! Add an illuminated LED Hanging Rod to brighten your space
10. Add Pull-Out Valet Hooks Throughout Your Closet – they are inexpensive and a must in any luxurious closet!
11. Use acrylic shelf dividers to keep sweater stacks and purses tidy and vertical (insert pic of Whitney’s closet/purses).
12. Hangers! You must find a hanger you like and get rid of all mis-matched hangers. This act alone will give your closet a whole new life!
13. Use a Space Saving Folding Technique – I use this technique to fold tees and tanks in a drawer. The idea is to see every item at first glance and avoid stacking in drawers—you will never wear the items at the bottom!
14. Boxes are the cleanest way to keep overflow and seasonal items organized in a closet, and they are ever-so-chic in leather!