My best friend, Jo, is such a thoughtful and amazing chef! I trust her recipes completely. They are always healthy and family friendly! She has a really bad case of SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) which keeps her small intestine from breaking down food like it normally should. Her holistic doctor has taught her all about food and the gut. SO everything she cooks is gut friendly.
Below is her incredible beef bolognese recipe that she learned in Italy! It’s INSANE. You can serve over pasta or with a variety of sides! To watch a fun video of her making it (with a very special guest), head to my IGTV!! (You will also find another video of her making her famous plantain pancakes!) Let us know what you think of the recipe in the comments below!
- 1 onion (tip: buy pre-chopped onion)
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 lb of beef (use 15% fat because it cooks down nicely)
- Carrots (tip: don’t use too many as it will make the sauce too sweet)
- Organic strained tomatoes
- Red wine
- Cut celery, onions and carrots
- Pulse veggies till finely cut. Do not pulse too much or it will become watery.
- For every 1 lb of meat, use half a cup of veggie mixture
- Heat olive oil on LOW in pot
- Pour veggies in
- Stir on low heat – let veggies sweat out (they are done when the onions become lucid and soft)
- Turn heat to HIGH
- Add meat and stir (meat will start to fall apart)
- When meat is cooked, add tomato sauce
- Pour enough sauce to cover meat
- Two 24 oz jars were perfect!
- Add big pinch of himalayen sea salt
- Add a little red wine
- Cook at least 35-40 min. The longer you cook the better!
- Serve over pasta or with sides!!
- Roasted broccoli, zucchini and sweet potatoes
- Toss in oil and salt
- Cook for 20 min at 400 degrees
- Sautée with avocado oil and salt
- Squeeze lemon on top