I’ve always been a huge fan of coconuts. I snack on them, add coconut flakes to my smoothies and drink straight from them. Little did I know that coconuts can benefit you in so may ways other than your diet! Well to be more specific, it’s coconut oil that is the real “superfood” here.
The health benefits of Coconut Oil include hair care, skin care, better brain function, stress relief and increased immunity, to name a few. Who knew?! So at my most recent trip to the grocery story, I picked up a jar of coconut oil and began researching how I can incorporate it into my daily routine. Here are some tips and tricks I discovered…
- Homemade Hair Mask – Apply a quarter size dollop to your hair and comb through. Put your hair in a loose bun, and then either sleep with a towel on your pillow or use a shower cap. Shampoo as usual in the morning.
- Add to Foods & Beverages — If you aren’t down with eating a spoonful of coconut oil a day, there are plenty of other ways to incorporate it into your diet so you can reap all of the amazing health benefits, such as adding to coffee, tea and smoothies. Check out this list of 7 ways to eat more coconut oil.
- Lip Balm – Store some in a contact lens case so you can carry it with you and dab on throughout the day.
- Energy Booster — Mix with a tablespoon of chia seeds at the start of your day for a natural energy boost
- Get Rid of Cellulite — Apply daily over affected areas to reduce the appearance of cellulite
- Baking – I love baking so I will definitely be giving this one a shot! Use as a replacement for butter and get all the wonderful health benefits as you indulge in a delicious treat!
- Add Shine to Your Hair – Smooth a tiny dab (and I mean really tiny so your hair doesn’t appear greasy) through the ends of your hair to increase shine and fight frizz
- Body Moisturizer – Apply a quarter-sized amount right after you get out of the shower and let it soak into your skin. Coconut oil is extremely hydrating and is an amazing way to soothe dry skin. It also smells amazing so I can’t wait to try this one!
- Body Scrub – Mix a half cup of sugar with a half cup of melted coconut oil and rub over dry skin in the shower.
- Fight Off Sickness — Mix a tablespoon into hot tea to speed up recovery from a cold or the flu
Obviously, I’m new to coconut oil so I would recommend checking out some of the reading materials I looked at to learn more about the benefits of this healing superfood. Here’s one article that I found particularly helpful.
If you decide to give some of these uses a shot at home, make sure you buy organic, virgin coconut oil. You can find some good options on Amazon.